Friday, September 22, 2006

Nicole in Korea 6

Helloooooooo over there!!!

My camera is officially broken! L I have to take it to a repair shop...(it might be a while guys...)

It’s okay though because I look like crap anyways. I messed around and had some soup last night. It was vegetable soup but the broth...it was BEEF broth. Needless to say, I have been vomiting all night. I now cannot even hold anything down. This morning, I damn near passed out trying to run, so I went to the hospital (conveniently located next to my apartment bldg.) and they told me that aside from food poisoning (associated with beef bacteria?), I was extremely dehydrated. They made me stay in the hospital with an IV attached to give me fluids. He tried to give me a medication that would keep me from vomiting...didn’t work. It came up too. After about 4.5 hours there, I ‘snuck out’ of the hospital. I told the nurse that I was going for a walk. And I did ( I just didn’t come back). Instead, I went to work, they sent me home. (I didn’t even get a choice L) My boss came home with me and made me some boiled water and salt crackers (don’t ask, I didn’t), sat here for about an hour until I fell asleep, and left a very nice get well note for me in the window.

On a much brighter note, life is good (as long as I stay AWAY from beef)! I am enjoying everything as much now (if not a bit more) than I did when I came here. It is hard to believe we are coming up on two months already!! It’s been a blast. I am in the best of all worlds now. My bosses think I am ‘an asset to this branch...in fact, you’re an asset to the entire company.’ I got that in a note from the BIG DAWG!! I corrected so many quizzes that I now make them.... EVEN MORE MONEY FOR ME.... It’s just an extra 650 dollars a month for 16 hours a month. So, I work a grand total of 136 hours a month and make more than I did stateside in 3 months. Not bad... I love it. The best part is that I absolutely love my students and all of their clever wit and kind spirits. They keep me on my toes and they keep me laughing...and I do the same for them.

We had a listening activity for one of my classes. It was an interview with a psychologist about shyness. During this SEVEN minute long track, he said that ‘shy people tend to have less intimate relationships, less sex, less fun...’ Well, wouldn’t you know it? My students picked up on that sentence QUICK. As soon as the track was finished my very bright elementary student Eric said: ’Nicole, you are not shy at all; you are very outgoing. So does that mean you have a lot of sex?’ I looked at him, trying desperately to mask my horror, and was about to tell him that asking about people’s sex life is rude in America, when I was saved. Lauren, another student, jumped in and said “Duh Eric, you’re so stupid. Nicole is not even married!” to which all of the students in the class chimed in : ‘Yeah Eric, that was a dumb question!’
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!!! Thank God for small miracles...so smart yet so innocent!! I just moved on to the next topic.

I’ve met some very interesting people. I went to church last Sunday. It was a very unique experience. I enjoyed it, I think. I am not sure I agree with everything said in the service but it may have been something lost in translation. I got up to leave after service and was swarmed by the church’s worker bees.... ‘Where are you going? Aren’t you staying for fellowship?” So after church, I spent another hour socializing with the church people. It was fun but not like church at home. I have also been making friends in random places... in the bank, in the metro, on the bus, in the market, etc. So, by last weekend, my phone was ringing off the hook...I couldn’t even rest because everyone was calling to go out/hang out. This weekend is already off to the same start. But, because I don’t feel well, I think I am going to stay in for a couple days and recuperate.

I miss you guys (not enough to come back J). I can’t wait to hear from you. You can send care packages at any time (Just remember, I am allergic to chocolate, caffeine and I don’t like coconut). Anything else is game though!! J

Love Always,

Doriannicole

P.S. P.S. P.S. P.S.
1. Mommy, please send my sweaters before I freeze over here!!! Thank you.
2. Anyone in the DC, VA, MD area (can you send me some Tastykake butterscotch crumpets?)
3. Altoids cinnamon gum would be FABULOUS right about now!

No comments: